Floating shelves add a rustic but contemporary look to your home or work space. The solid ALDER wood shelves provide sturdy storage for books, dishes, or bathroom décor in a cozy, farmhouse style.
INTRODUCTION Hey there -- we're Josh & Emily! Thanks for visiting our ALDER hidden bracket floating shelves :)
There is a LOT of info below so you can feel confident about your shelving purchase.
Otherwise -- ASK US! Send me photos of your space. We are happy to talk through your storage options, providing our advice to guide you through selection/ordering questions.
We usually reply within just a couple of hours during the day!
1. HOW MANY SHELVES DO I GET? This listing is for ONE Knotty Alder wood shelf, including ONE metal hidden bracket, and wood screws for install into drywall and studs (recommended), for the price shown.
>> The photos displayed are customer-submitted images of our shelves. If you'd also like two or more floating shelves, please increase the quantity of shelf you purchase here on the listing, or in your cart, prior to checkout. <<
2. WHAT SIZE SHELF IS THIS FOR? You choose your Alder shelf size! We list the open shelves by: >> depth = out from the wall and >> length = left to right across the wall For example, 7.25"D x 12"L means: 1 Alder floating shelf 7.25 inches out from the wall and 12 inches left to right across the wall.
3. HOW THICK IS THIS SHELF? All the Alder true floating shelves on this listing are 1.5-1.6"H (thick). (Varies slightly on how much sanding is required for your specific shelf.)
4. BUT I NEED A CUSTOM SIZE... Awesome! We custom-cut each hidden bracket shelf upon order. Please message us with the dimensions you need, and we'll send you a quote for shelves 47”L and under.
We'll create a custom link just for you to purchase custom-size/color orders.
>> Due to Covid-19, we are not making shelves longer than 47"L. <<
5. WHAT WOOD IS THIS SHELF MADE FROM? High-grade knotty Alder.
Alder is a higher-quality wood than pine and does not have dramatic grain lines like pine.
Alder has a slightly “pink” undertone.
There will be knots, knot holes, and other natural imperfections that create a warm, farmhouse feel with a contemporary twist.
6. BUT I WANT MORE MODERN SHELVING... No problem! We make more modern shelving, too! Maple Wood Floating Shelf *tight wood grain -- overall whiter tone; finished with clear coat, only (no stain)
7. HOW LONG WILL THIS TAKE? Your order takes 10-15 business days to create from scratch. PLUS 3-4 days in UPS ground transit, from here in Kansas City (Go Chiefs!)
We handmake each Alder floating shelf upon order. No pre-made shelves are ready to ship today. a. Order Placed b. Shelf is CUT, jointed, run through planer, ROUTED and holes drilled for the bracket, and thoroughly SANDED. c. Shelf gets STAINED and dries prior to clear, SATIN TOP COAT applied. d. Bracket is created and fit to your specific shelf. e. Order is paired with hardware for install and reviewed for quality prior to hand-wrapping/boxing for shipment. d. Label is printed -- you receive tracking email -- and package arrives avg. 3-4 days later at your door :) **No clear coat is applied to "Unstained" Alder shelf orders.**
8. CAN I RUSH THIS ORDER? Nope -- good things take time. We process our orders in the order we receive them. There are a few folks excited for us to finish up their shelves, first. Please see 7. HOW LONG WILL THIS TAKE above :)
10. HOW MUCH WEIGHT CAN THIS SHELF SUPPORT? When properly installed in studs or using heavy-duty toggler bolts, our Alder true floating shelves can hold 30-45+ lbs. (conservatively).
11. WHAT DOES UNSTAINED MEAN, EXACTLY? NO stain. NO clear Satin top coat. Ready for you to finish upon receipt. >>If you LOVE the unstained Alder color, AND DO want clear coat on top, please message me :) I'll send you a custom listing so we handle your order as-requested, and are certain to clear coat it for you.
12. HOW MUCH IS SHIPPING? Free for US orders over $99. Alaska, Hawaii, APO/Int'l customers - additional shipping charges due. Please message me for more details.
13. WHAT CAN I EXPECT? Click "REVIEWS" to read some of our latest open shelving reviews.
14. WHEN WILL MY ORDER SHIP? In 10-15 business days from your order date.
15. RETURNS Please view details on our Shipping & Returns page. Customers cover return shipping, then refunded 80%.
16. I HAVE A DIFFERENT QUESTION... We are happy to talk through your options, and to provide our expert advice to guide you through selection/ordering questions.
That's our goal -- to build not only a quality product for you and your home, but also build real relationships with our customers. - Need a custom shelf length? Just ask :) - Want to match a custom stain? Just ask :) - If you are unsure of what combination is best for your space, just ask :)
We love getting photos of spaces and helping folks think through what size & color combos will work best!
Thanks, again, and we look forward to partnering together with you on this project!
SHIPPING AND RETURN INFO
We custom cut every shelf and bracket upon order (no pre-made, ready-to-ship pieces prepared in advance).
We also process our orders in the order we receive them. That means that there are a few folks who are excited for us to finish up and ship their shelves, first.
Most of our products take about 10-15 business days (Monday - Friday) to be handcrafted and boxed, ready to ship.
Once shipped, (post-production), orders usually take about 3-4 days from our door in Kansas City to yours (Monday - Saturday). Orders are shipped via UPS most. You will receive a tracking number once your order has shipped.
Furniture pieces (such as tables, desks, etc) are not included in the standard shipping pricing. Those are available for pickup or subject to the prevailing LTL rate and have a 3-6 week lead time.
At J THOMAS HOME we want you to be confident in your purchase. Click here to see answers to commonly-asked questions, like specific details about making a purchase, how long the process takes to ship, how much weight we recommend, and much more.