Are you looking to add storage and functionality to your home while keeping the space sleek and trendy? There are many options available, but don’t let the choice overwhelm you. End your search now and discover the versatility of 4-foot floating shelves and explore how you can include them in one of the most used rooms in the home – the kitchen.
Why Choose Floating Shelves Over Traditional Cabinets?
Floating shelves are a great alternative to traditional cabinetry because they bring an open and airy feel to the space. They're sleek, sturdy, and fit well with every style. They're friendly on your budget, available in a wide selection of finishes, and easy to install. If you want to explore more benefits of using floating shelves in your kitchen, check out these five benefits of floating shelves in your kitchen.
How to Use Floating Shelves in Your Kitchen
There are multiple reasons homeowners choose to use floating shelves in their kitchens – two of which are design and functionality. Most of us are seeking a nice blend of both and want to find that balance.
Plan Your Shelving Area
No matter your reason for using floating shelves, it’s important to have a design plan when you hang them. There are a few factors when doing so:
- The first thing is ceiling height. An 8-foot ceiling may work best with one or two rows of shelves, whereas a 10-foot ceiling or taller could easily use three rows of shelves.
- Next, consider the distance you need between the countertop and the first shelf. This is where you’ll want to think about the kitchen appliances and other items you’ll use or store under the shelf. For example, an air fryer or stand mixer will require more space than a jar of cooking utensils. As a starting point, we recommend the clearance space to be between 16 inches and 24 inches above the countertop.
- Finally, think about the kitchen essentials and décor items you’ll be placing on the shelves before you hang them. This will help you gauge the rough distance needed between the shelves, which is usually between 15 inches and 20 inches. This takes us to the next discussion – the décor and storage items you can place on the shelves!
Décor and Storage Items to Place on Kitchen Floating Shelves
When installed correctly, most floating shelves can hold 35 (and sometimes more) pounds. This makes them perfect for displaying your favorite kitchen decor and dinnerware. Let's look at items you might consider placing on your shelves.
- Nice dinnerware and drinkware. If you don't already have nice dinnerware and drinkware, consider purchasing a set that you can display on your shelves. They don’t have to be fancy or expensive, but instead, just a simple set that looks nice and flows well with your home's vibe. Place these items on a lower shelf so they're within easy reach.
- Large artwork, signs, sculptures, and other trinkets. Larger pieces of decor will set well on your topmost shelf, especially if it's higher up and harder to reach. These can be big pieces that make a statement in the room.
- Baskets are perfect for holding multiple items that you want to keep somewhat hidden away, yet they still look pretty sitting atop a shelf. They'll easily hold fresh eggs, fruits and vegetables, Tupperware containers, children's cups/bottles, and other items you like to keep within easy reach.
- Book stacks are commonly seen on floating shelves and can serve a functional and aesthetic purpose - by using cookbooks!
- Smaller decor, artwork, and plants. Use smaller decor items and plants as fillers on the shelves. Once you have larger items placed, fill in the small gaps or awkward areas with smaller items to help the flow of the shelves.
Hopefully, you now have some valuable information to help you plan your kitchen shelving for optimal storage and décor display. It’s now time to select the shelves that will work best in your space.
Interested in purchasing handcrafted shelves? Order online or contact us today! Still have questions? We love troubleshooting, answering questions, and offering tips and tricks, so email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Locals interested in purchasing a collection of handcrafted shelves for a renovation can schedule an appointment with us to get started.