As the 4th of July approaches, you may be thinking about ways to decorate your home to help bring out the spirit of Independence Day. Whether you're the type to sprinkle cheery bits of red, white, and blue throughout your home or you go all-out on every available surface, floating shelves make an excellent addition for your decorations.
Not sure exactly how you’d decorate floating shelves? Don't be overwhelmed by the thought and consider mixing and matching the 16 ideas below to create the perfectly styled 4th of July floating shelf display.
16 Patriotic Floating Shelf Decoration Ideas for the 4th of July
- Add 3-4 small flags to your shelf by "planting" them in a small basket or flowerpot using flower foam blocks, like Debra from HomeSpunStyle (featured photo).
- Incorporate wooden stars in various sizes and colors. Don't be afraid to use wood tones if you prefer a more neutral look.
- Hang a fun patterned stars and stripes flag banner from your shelves. This is a good way to add extra height to the space.
- Hang a wreath decorated with flags or 4th of July-themed ribbons above your floating shelf. Again - this is a good way to utilize the vertical wall space around your shelves.
- Place a small textured blue or red accent pillow on your shelf for added dimension. You can even find a crocheted flag pillow in neutral or patriotic colors.
- Add red, white, and blue flowers to a mason jar or other vase of your choice and place it on the shelf. Set it atop books for added height.
- Put a few colorful jars or mugs in various spots on the shelf. Rae Dunn has some neat 4th of July jars and mugs that would look great.
- Add a neutral-colored sign with a patriotic saying such as "Let Freedom Ring" or something as simple as "1776".
- Place large, chunky letters “USA” in red, white, and blue on one of the shelves.
- Incorporate a neutral or soft patterned runner on top of a shelf for extra texture.
- A colored beaded garland would be another great addition. There are various bead sizes and lengths available to suit your shelf size.
- An Uncle Sam or patriotic gnome shelf sitter would be a cute way to fully use the space available on your shelves by allowing them to dangle off the front.
- Find or make a mini blanket ladder to sit on top of one of your shelves. Then add themed hand towels to it.
- A small vintage red truck placed on the shelf with flags tucked into the bed makes a subtle, multipurpose decoration piece.
- Place a book stack (or faux book stack made from wood) on a shelf. These could have patriotic words or sayings printed along the spines.
- Add small, patriotic-themed houses to create a 4th of July village scene.
Which Shelf Should You Choose?
There are numerous shelves to choose from in a variety of styles. Pick from thick pine shelves, traditional oak shelves, paint-ready shelves that are ready to be painted in the color of your choosing, and a variety of other options. LED lighted shelves are even available to keep your décor always lit up. The LED options are great for 4th of July décor, as they’ll keep your flag illuminated even at night, which follows traditional guidelines for a respectable display of the American flag.
Mixing the above 4th of July decoration suggestions will look good on any shelf you choose and incorporating various décor pieces will help you create a truly unique display for this patriotic holiday.
Looking to add floating shelves to your home? Order online or contact us today! Still have questions? We love troubleshooting, answering questions, and offering tips and tricks, so email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Locals interested in purchasing a collection of handcrafted shelves for a renovation can schedule an appointment with us to get started.